8.02.2017

Book Review: Superfail by Max Brunner and Dustin Mackay

SuperfailSuperfail by Max Brunner
Review Copy: Provided via NetGalley
Release Date: October 17th 2017 by Running Press Kids

Synopsis:
Laser vision isn't so hot when you're cross-eyed, and supersonic flight's a real downer when motion sickness keeps you grounded.

Twelve-year-old Marshall Preston is a Defective--a person with superhuman abilities that are restricted by some very human setbacks. While other kids are recruited to superhero teams, Marshall's stuck in seventh grade with a kid who can run at super speed but can't turn a corner, another with a radioactive peanut allergy that turns him into a swollen Hulk, and a telepath who reads everyone's thoughts out loud.

Defectives like Marshall aren't exactly superhero material, but when he uncovers a plot to destroy one of the greatest superhero teams of all time, Marshall and his less-than-super friends set out to prove that just because you're defective doesn't mean you can't save the day.

My Review:
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The entire time I was reading this book, I had a smile on my face. It's a fun graphic novel with an important message.

When I initially stumbled upon Superfail on Netflix, I wasn't sure what to expect. I admittedly don't read many Middle Grade novels, so I wasn't sure if this one would hold my interest, and yet, I found myself unable to stop reading once I'd started. Max Brunner has crafted such a fun story about a group of outcast superheroes that serves an important message of acceptance. (In fact, I immediately preordered a copy for my nephew once I finished reading it.)

The artwork is fantastic and truly adds to the story, yes, but it's the dialogue and the exploration of these characters that are so often pushed aside that makes this story shine. They may be Defectives, but this group of characters are a great bunch of superheroes in the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment